Cervical osteochondrosis is a disease in which pain occurs not only in the cervical region, but also in the head, shoulder joints, cerebral circulation is disturbed. Contrary to the opinion that this disease is exclusively for the elderly, more and more young people are turning to specialists with neck pain. It's all about the lifestyle most people lead. Computer work, bad posture, stooping, uncomfortable bed, all this due to the development of cervical osteochondrosis. Home treatment is possible at the initial stage of the disease, if you know the cause of its appearance.
Causes and symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis
The main reasons for the development of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Sedentary lifestyle, computer work;
- Inadequate metabolism;
- Accumulation of salts between the vertebrae;
- Unbalanced diet;
- Cervical injuries;
- Improper functioning of hormones.
Before looking for ways to cure osteochondrosis neck, you need to know the symptoms of osteochondrosis pain. To correctly determine the symptoms, it is worth knowing that the vertebral artery, one of the largest vital vessels, passes through the cervical region. It is through it that the brain is fed with all the necessary substances. The curvature of the intervertebral discs, which at the same time causes strong sensations of pain, is called osteochondrosis. At first, this disease of the joints and spine is almost impossible to detect, as this disease develops gradually, and the pain appears already at the moment when the space between the vertebrae is compressed to such an extent that the nerve endings in the spine are affected. . This implies a violation of cerebral circulation. Only at this moment do the first symptoms appear:
- First, there is pain in the neck region;
- Often troubled by dizziness and headache, especially during movement;
- There is weakness in arms and legs, coordination of movements is disturbed;
- In addition, symptom may be tinnitus, tinnitus;
- Sudden mood swings;
- Violation of the digestive tract and urinary processes in the body.
If you don't see a specialist at an early stage in the development of osteochondrosis, more serious problems with the spine, even the curvature, can occur.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis
There are several ways to treat osteochondrosis of the neck. Every patient suffering from this disease will find a suitable method of relieving the pain, it all depends on the severity of the stage of the disease. For example, dizziness in osteochondrosis of the cervical region can be cured by compresses according to folk recipes. It is important to remember that any treatment must be carried out comprehensively.
Traditional medicine, with the correct application of recipes, can effectively relieve symptoms. Well, help to cope with the disease infusions and decoctions of herbs, the action of which is aimed at relieving inflammation, here are some of them:
- A decoction of needles. Pour boiling water over pine needles, let it ferment, eat the resulting paste twice a day or drink infusion, it will help to eliminate the cause of headaches;
- Garlic Ginger Compress. Mix garlic and ginger root in equal proportions, add a little butter. The resulting mixture is applied to the affected area. If the ginger is only in the form of a seasoning, you can add a spoonful of powder, the effect will be the same;
- Finely grated potatoes mixed with honeyone by one, put the resulting mass on a cloth for a compress, attach it to the focus of pain and leave it overnight;
- horseradish leafSoak it in boiling water, then attach the plant to your neck, the water can also be used for compresses.
Also, don't forget about essential oils and herbs, which, in combination with alcohol, make excellent warming massages. Within a week of home treatment, the inflammatory processes should subside; if it does not, you should immediately contact a specialist.
Surgery is quite a lengthy and complex process, so this method of treatment is used in the most extreme cases and only when other methods are ineffective.
The decision on the need for an operation is made by a doctor who treats osteochondrosis - a neurosurgeon. Only after the diagnosis, all exams and exams are performed, as well as the patient's cerebral vessels are checked, does the preparation for surgery begin. Surgery is often necessary when the intervertebral disc is destroyed. If possible, it is better to use other methods.
With this disease, treatment depends on its severity. The main function of the drug is an analgesic effect. It all depends on the degree of development of the disease, specialists in medical institutions prescribe certain drugs:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs that effectively fight pain and inflammation;
- Corticosteroid medications also help to reduce the sensation of pain;
- Muscle relaxants are great for relieving muscle spasms;
- Anticonvulsants are taken for pain due to the development of neuroticism;
- Warming and anti-inflammatory ointments, gels.
In order not to suffer from cervical osteochondrosis and ankylosing spondylitis, it is recommended to perform the following exercises:
- Lying on the floor, place one hand on your stomach, the other on your chest, inhale and exhale slowly at least ten times. The essence of the exercise is that the body must be relaxed;
- This exercise is also performed lying on the floor, but now on your stomach. Hands in front of you, slowly begin to lift your head, then your torso, tensing your muscles, while your hands rest on the floor. So you need to stay for a minute and a half. Execute 4 approaches;
- Position - sitting on a chair, back straight. Tilt your head forward, trying to reach your chest with your chin. Then, tilt your head back as far as possible. Repeat 15 times.
A set of exercises is performed very carefully, all movements should be smooth without sudden movements, if any exercise causes discomfort or pain, you do not need to continue its execution at full strength.
Physiotherapy allows patients to strengthen the muscles of the neck and back, correct the position of each vertebra and work on stretching with the help of special exercises. Working with light weights improves nerve conduction in the spinal canal. A complete course of exercises allows you to recover faster.
Massage for cervical osteochondrosis
Massage is good because even with a serious stage of the disease, it can be performed with gentle movements, for this you don't even have to go anywhere, you can always invite a specialist to your home. Typically, a chiropractor adheres to the following principles:
- No force is applied, movements should be smooth and not jerky;
- Movements begin at the spine;
- The massage is performed with just the fingers, without pressure.
Before a massage session, the skin is lubricated with a special oil. Some experts turn to cupping, believing that they improve blood circulation. Massage is prescribed both during remission and during exacerbation, as it is an excellent prophylactic. One hour of daily sessions is enough.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine at home
It is impossible to completely cure osteochondrosis of the cervical spine at home on your own. You can only stop the progression of the disease and stop the pain syndromes. This is due to the fact that osteochondrosis is a chronic disease, in some cases exacerbations can occur, it is impossible to completely get rid of it. Therefore, the question of how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home is somewhat imprecise.
Thus, it is only possible to carry out preventive measures for the recurrence of the disease. To do this, you need to exercise regularly, move more, not stand still for a long time, use orthopedic pillows and a mattress. You should also avoid stressful situations and give up bad habits.